Broken Crayon Project 2019
Broken Crayon Project 2019
- Status: Open Project , Ongoing Project
- Possible Hours: 10
- Categories: Peace and Kindness, Education and Literacy, Citizenship and Civic Engagement, Environment and Sustainability
- Schools: Open to All Schools
- Project Start Date: 05/01/2019
- Project End Date: 08/31/2019
- Contact Ayuda Foundation to sign up for the project. Contact info is listed below. They will inform you as to the location of the packing site. We usually know by the end of the current school year.
- Arrange for a time when your help is needed at the designated school..
- Read up on the Federated States of Micronesia. (http://www.visit-micronesia.fm/about/index.html) so you will get a sense of where the supplies will be going to and the importance of this project.
- Remember to bring water and wear appropriate clothing (packing boxes, taping, marking, moving boxes).
- Report to the designated school, sign in at the office and inform them that you are there to help with the Broken Crayon Project. You will be directed to the site.
- Sign in to the project leader.
- Follow instructions given by the project leader.
- Give your contact info to the project leader before you leave so he/she can send you your certificate of participation.
- Sign out.
- If possible, take pictures and post to social media using the hashtag #guamservicelearning #brokencrayonproject #ayudafoundation
In order to earn service learning hours, a reflection needs to be turned in to a teacher who can input the hours into Power School. You need to address: What did you do? What did you learn? (Include what you learned about the outer islands in the Federated States of Micronesia) How was this an example of public service? (Include what you learned about the importance of reducing, reusing, recycling) and helping those who lack the resources that we do in Guam.
Social Studies Government and Civics
AG.4.16 - Practice personal character traits that facilitate thoughtful and effective participation in civic life, including the
• Trustworthiness and honesty
• Courtesy and respect for the rights of others
• Responsibility, accountability, and self-reliance
Government and Civics AG.4.17: Explain the importance of thoughtful and effective participation in civic life, including the following:
• Performing public service
• Keeping informed about current issues
• Respecting differing opinions in a diverse society
• Practicing personal and fiscal responsibility
Science: Biology - BI.1.6 Demonstrate by actions in the school community caring and respect for the environment and living organisms. (Inportance of reducing, reusing, recycling)